Sep 5, 2019
National Suicide Prevention Week 2019 is set for Sunday, September 8 through Saturday, September 14. The 17th Annual World Suicide Prevention Day is Tuesday, September 10.
- 1 in 5 adults experience a mental illness
- Nearly 1 in 25 adults live with a serious mental illness
- One half of all chronic mental illness starts by age 14, ¾ by age 24.
- 90% of those who die by suicide have an underlying mental illness.
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States, with one suicide occurring on average every 11.7 minutes.
- Approximately 1.1 million Americans attempt suicide each year. This translates into one suicide attempt every 28 seconds.
- There are 3 female suicide attempts for every 1 male. Yet, there are 3.4 male deaths by suicide for every 1 female death by suicide.
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among 15 to 24-year-olds, behind only accidents.
- 1 of every 62 is a survivor of someone they know who died by suicide (aka loss survivor).
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP:
- Donating and shopping at Goodwill stores in the area supports mission programs like 2-1-1/LIFE LINE.
- 2-1-1/LIFE LINE is here for everyone, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to support people in crisis who are struggling with thoughts of suicide.
- Encourage those you are concerned about or yourselves to reach out and speak with one of our experienced and compassionate tele-counselors who are here to listen and to help. Individuals can reach us through our website (211lifeline.org), text, or call.
- Just dial 2-1-1 for free and confidential assistance connecting you to vital community resources.